A number of businesses were recently slapped with fines by the Fair Work Ombudsman because of payment issues with many companies found to have been underpaying their employees.
This prompted an article on Smartcompany.com.au highlighting some of the common misconceptions about employee payments.
Here are 7 employment myths that you shouldn’t fall for as a boss,
- You can deduct from workers to cover losses
- You don’t need to provide employees payslips if they don’t want them
- You can employ young workers as ‘trainees’ without lodging any formal paperwork.
- Employees don’t need to be paid for time spent opening and closing a store.
- An employee must work for 12 months before they can take annual leave or sick leave.
- A full-time employee can be fired without notice during their probation period.
- You can’t ask an employee for proof of being sick, such as medical certificate.